Early Modern Blog

 

  In the Early Modern Era, there was a continued swift change from the Romantic Era and the focus on more common individuals rather than royals. With the breakout of World War I, artists were found on the front lines documenting the challenges. Some of the artists sacrificed their life so that the story of individuals at war would be told. 

Gassed by John Singer Sargent

  I think it is safe to say that I am in love with this work! The tones are musty and warm, portraying the dry conditions these subjects had to endure. There is a soft texture to the work, yet the work is realistic and highly detailed. One may not see the faces of the subjects, but emotion is conveyed through each one's body language. There is deep human exhaustion, yet perseverance seen in the work as each trusts one another to guide blindly. 

  This work was created in London during the year 1919. Sargent witnessed this evacuation from mustard gas which blinded soldiers, who in addition utilized gauze to further protect their eyes. The work focuses on the sacrifice and difficulties these men and women had to overcome. 



Tunnellers by Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson

  This may not be a front-line piece, yet it portrays another important role during World War I. The subject is walking into a potentially dangerous situation. The tones are darker and muted, which hint toward a suspicious and nerve-racking image. The thin brush strokes remind me of the Impressionism style. The subject is off-centered, but the bird which would detect the gas is in the center. I wonder why Nevinson decided to place each in his work. 

  This work was created in 1916. Impressively, it used a variety of mediums including ink, gouache, graphite, and crayon. I was unable to find where this work was created or what particularly inspired it. 


Mothers by Kathe Kollwitz

  This simple work portrays the difficult emotions mothers endured. This simple sketch without intense details conveys emotions such as hurt, fear, and comfort. The texture is simple and raw, just like the emotions. Each subject portrays a certain body language or emotion such as the center mother who clings to her children. 
   
  Kollwitz sketched this work in 1919. She additionally wrote in her diary entry that she related to the center mother, as she clung to her two children during the war. Mothers' endured the grief of children going off to war at an early age, hence the work was powerful in conveying another battlefield. 






Farrell, Jennifer. "Art As Influence And Response: A First Look At World War I And The Visual Arts". Metmuseum.Org, 2017, https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/now-at-the-met/2017/world-war-i-and-the-visual-arts-introduction.

Cotter, Holland. "World War I — The Quick. The Dead. The Artists.". Nytimes.Com, 2017, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/arts/design/review-world-war-i-the-quick-the-dead-the-artists.html.

Comments

  1. You had amazing descriptions about how the art appealed to you, some of the characteristics you focused on were very appealing. You chose very beautiful pieces of art that I enjoy very much. :) Tunnellers by Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson and Gassed by John Singer Sargent, caught my eyes the most. You also did a great job on explaining the connections between the artworks and the topic you chose. I learned some interesting information from your post, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Angela! I've always been impressed by the way artists have documented the past. I love the pieces you've chosen above to display and the emotions that they carry. I think the Early Modern Era is a pretty interesting era because it is really one of the last eras that painting/drawing is used as documentation before photography became truly accessible to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these paintings and how they show truth in war instead of just obvious heroism. they all have a more subtle way by showing harsh conditions and effects of war. I also like the differences in artists between your pieces. Each one seems to be by a different parson living not just as an artist and yet all of them have the same chilling theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I appreciate most about your post is that each of your chosen pieces represents different yet equally important faces of war - representation is so important in maintaining an accurate and inclusive account of historical events. I have to admit that I am also in love with the painting "Gassed". I love mustard yellow, and I don't think I've ever seen it used more beautifully. I think this type of image is what we immediately think of when we hear 'war' - young men putting their lives on the line for something much bigger than themselves. The experience of doing so is something that many of us will never know. However, art allows for a small glimpse into their actions. I will say that "Tunnellers" is not one of the images that come to mind when I think of war so I am grateful that you chose this piece. This job is essential to war efforts and is deserving of recognition. My favorite part about this painting is the gas mask - it looks like a scene from a sci-fi movie and I'm here for it. Great job, Ang! Really enjoyed your take on the Early Modern era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! I also choose the piece "Gassed" by John Singer Sargent and love the way you described the musty and warm tone portraying the dry conditions was spot on. I also really like the ""Tunnellers" by Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson piece I almost choose this piece for my post, I really liked this piece and you did a great evaluation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were very interesting pieces or art you chose. “Gassed” by John Singer Sargent and “Tunnellers” by Christopher Nevison I think we’re the most eye-catching to look at because of the muted hues and colors used and the subject matter. They both invoke emotions of surviving. The last piece I agree gives the viewer emotions of sorrow and pain of protecting their children. I enjoyed learning about these three pieces and appreciating them. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pieces may be tragic but they are so beautiful. I like that you chose three pieces that show different perspectives/scenarios regarding WWI. It makes for nice variety in capturing such a significant period of time that affected so many. It's interesting how drab all three works are. The dull colors really contribute to the depressing feeling. I have to agree that Gassed is an incredible work. As soon as I saw it I was enamored.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts